Intellectual Development is the growth of the creative ability or prowess of a person’s mind. A person’s mind can be very powerful because it is regarded as the seat of the faculty of reasoning. So many people has done great things from the discovery of atoms to highly developed technology of today’s worlds. It is amazing that intellect is not developed at birth. It start and continues to develop throughout a person’s life. Most people never attain reasonably high intellect because they believe thinking makes one to develop high blood pressure which is a non-communicable disease. Science disagrees or proves otherwise, that a man who is involved in problem solving has all the part of his brain functioning and thereby making the person feel young.
It is painful how today world, especially those living in the African region are plagued with laziness. When I mean laziness it may mean people who has refused to have a sense of responsibility. They may be egotistic. While some people are plaguing themselves with hurtful thinking. It is pertinent to know that engaging in unproductive thinking will do nothing to raise a person’s intellectual capacity. Examples of people involved in hurtful thinking are addicts, co-addicts, criminals, even nagging individuals and those who enjoy talking about other people’s problems, etc. While these hurtful thinking are not just in the African community but world at large but is seen around the world where there is hatred and other vices. It is important to know that religion and spiritual doctrines was developed to help individuals attain such level of intellectual capacity but have failed. They failed because religious leaders are misguided and the doctrines corrupted. This as such has led followers to lose their way and individuals becomes blinded by worldly gains that may not last. Despite the principles that has been laid out that should lead to a sense of service the society hence have grown to be knowers rather than doers.
Having progressed from creative mind, we should know that a person’s mental capacity uses every fibre of the brain. It is wrong to think that a person uses a few percentage of the brain in a life time. As science has divided the brain into 3 different parts which performs specific functions. The mind capacity of an individual is dependent on the brain capability too. This is why a family consisting of 3 children cannot engage in the same interest or like the same things or go to same place or even watch the same firm.
As each individual cannot share the same intellectual interest, so likewise, each individual even from the same family background may not be able to be at the same intellectual stage of development. It is however true that our intellects all start developing at birth but it is important to understand that not all individuals of the same age reach maturity at 18. In fact, some children may mature much earlier. Even maturity of the mind may not even show in any of the physiological changes that happens at puberty but is seen only when a person(s) shows a sense of service either to self or to humanity at large. At this point I will elucidate the different stages of intellectual development with examples to help you understand what stage you are and engage your mind towards attaining the highest level of intellectual development required for healthy and spiritual upliftment. Hence are as follows:
• The lowest level of intellectual development – involves people incapable of thinking for themselves, they do not understand anything except their feelings. They only think along the line of “they gave me – it’s good! They stop giving me – it’s bad”.
• The third level involves people of high social rank who knows and follows earthly religious traditions concerning rituals and rules of conducts. I might say those who are hypocrites and tries to show the people how different they are. They are egotistical and hence, they are not able to apprehend the living words of God.
• The second level are people who understand the living word of God. These people who has attained this level of intellectual capability may well be the disciples of Jesus. The closest disciples of Jesus who may have tried to understand the teacher and have partly succeeded in it.
• The first level – here few persons have attained this level. And the only widely known person who has attained this level is Jesus Christ. Not even his personal apostles were able to comprehend with their mind all the profundity of his teachings.
From the stages of intellectual development we can see that the highest level is the point where the individual is no longer interested in being served but to serve. It is also important to understand that the developed intellect of a person does not mean that the ethical development of that person is also high. In fact, ethical development imply how a person grows to understand his community rules and regulations and abide by it, hence exercising their rights in that community. But it is important to know that a person’s ethical self-development is not possible without a developed intellect.
So how do we contribute to the intellectual development of person?
A person’s intellect can be developed by the following:
• Education – when a person goes through school or is home schooled to read and write. But it is important to understand that both interactions with individuals of same and/or of different age group would help more to improve a person’s creative mind.
• Labour – engaging in different kinds of labours specially the creative ones. Labours which have complex solutions and requires technicality will help an individual think before acting hence improve intellect.
• Books – working with various kinds of books, even taking part in theoretical search that is striving to acquire knowledge by all means.
A good example on how to improve a person’s creative mind is the modern society that is highly developed in scientific and technical aspects.